KASVID: How People Kill Others’ Dreams pt.1




Following the death of veteran Nollywood producer Chukwuka Emelionwu AKA KASVID, His friend and vibrant writer Tai Emeka Obasi pens down an emotional narration of some events. Read below as we will keep you updated once he releases the next version.


KASVID: How People Kills Others’ Dreams 1.

I write with tears. 

Thirty-six hours after I saw my friend’s inert body on the emergency stretcher at GUO Hospital, Adazi tears refuse to quit flowing from my eyes.

Kas and I shared dreams. Great dreams.

Sometime in early 2011, my friend invited me over to his Surulere office at No 1, Nnobi Street in Lagos. Ever since I co-wrote the movie, Captain for him about two years earlier, he had always believed in me. He wouldn’t go to any location for any movie without my writing or editing the script.

Of all the people in Nollywood, Kas was one of the very few who didn’t get into the industry by accident. He was supremely talented as one of the most creative minds in the industry. He’d spot a talent where most people saw nothing. He’d weave a very marvelous movie story out of events people thought nothing about.

But he had one problem as a human being. He wasn’t the talking type and most times would find it difficult to express exactly what he had in mind. He would always punctuate narratives with ‘okwo ihotalu’ meaning ‘you know’, as if to substitute that handicap.

And when he met me (by God’s grace I’m not without my own talents too), he later confessed he had met one person who would perfectly understand his ideas and put them down in writing even better. So we stuck an inseparable creative relationship.

So that afternoon, he told me a concept, which ended up as the blockbuster movie, Not My Will. But after telling me the concept of the story I told him mine.

I told him our state of Anambra had been transformed by then Gov. Peter Obi as the best in the country in terms of people-oriented development. That I was thinking of telling that story in a well-structured storyline and show it to the whole world but I needed a great producer/marketer from Anambra too who loves the state and his Igbo routes without any reservation to partner with. He immediately bought into the idea.

He believed me when I lamented that politicians only saw Nollywood stars as tools to win elections with and ‘settled’ immediately after without an iota of thought that we have a lot to offer to nation building. That I had been thinking of changing that narrative and where else to start if not from our dear state? He was from Neni while I come from Ozubulu.

We took off; planning, modifying and eventually coming out with a masterpiece of a script. We termed the project, Anambra Di M N’Obi, registered it, printed jackets, hand bills, T-shirts and headed East, destination Awka. All we wanted was for HE Peter Obi to endorse the movie script, so that we would have the security and access to record all those transformations within every part of the state and sector. With Kasvid we would always source the fund. But the governor was not a man who approved anything on paper without reading through every sentence. And the over-busy governor never got the chance to read it until he handed over.

We were disappointed but not deterred. Kas and I had believed that we must contribute our own quota to nation-building and since the centre wasn’t giving us the opportunity that we would fight, if it got to that, to get the opportunity in our own state. We only had hiccups bearer breakers would have. Unfortunately, many of our members in the industry had not helped matters as they left very sour imprints everywhere that most people in governance hardly took us seriously.

Our partnership was based on the strength of what either could offer. He shouldered every expense, including transports to Awka, hotel bills and most times, whatever we ate or drank… and believe me, in the course of it, we ate and drank plenty.

I wrote whatever was necessary to write, including all letters and sms messages to anybody or department in government that could assist. And believe me again, there were really lots of writing.

We provided creativity, argued where necessary, sought a third opinion when deadlocked. Here, one of the best directors we have in Nollywood, Ikechukwu Onyeka, Chris McCool Nwosu and Nelly Nwandu always came in handy.

But Anambra Di M N’Obi was never flagged off. Transition came and our patron to the project, Chief Okey Ezeibe took us to Dr. Willie Obiano’s house, introduced him to us as the next governor of Anambra State. That was the first time we both heard of Akpokuedike. The man, who would become the next governor, on introduction begged us to assist in the media to promote him.

And we went to work. We needed APGA to win so that there would be continuity of the excellence HE Peter Obi was handing over.

And we really did our best until Dr. Willie Obiano became Governor-elect. After spending over 45 days in Golphins Hotel on our bills, we went back to Lagos satisfied that the good works in Anambra would continue. At some point it was truly rough financially. For nearly three years we abandoned our businesses just to actualize our dream. But I met a truly resilient man in Kasvid. Our wives were worried that we were derailing. They lamented behind our backs and planned to bring us back home to face our businesses in Lagos. But they both married stubborn men to any cause. We got back to Lagos, started extending our script to include the inauguration of Obi’s successor. At the same time I was preparing to relocate to Awka(a story for another day). It was late 2013.

Enter IFeanyi Ikpoenyi and Uju Edochie. 

One day Mr. Hollywood (as Ikpoenyi is known in the industry) called me, saying Uju Edochie and him had a concept they’d like me to script. Mr. Hollywood was equally one of those who believe in my ability. When he explained the concept I quickly spotted that a chord was brewing. So I arranged a meeting between Mr. Hollywood and Uju Edochie on one front, Kasvid and I on the other. Hollywood is from Umueri, Uju from Aguleri.

That day at Ojez Restaurant at the National Stadium, Surulere the four of us formed a team, called it Association of Anambra State Entertainment Practitioners, AASEP and opened it up to Anambra State-born players in the entertainment industry to join.

So what were the major objectives? – to take our creativity home, weave stories that would promote the values of our dear state, produce it in Igbo, then promote our culture and values to the over 2.5 billion Nollywood fans all over the world. But we didn’t restrict it to movies. We broadened to include musicians, particularly as the likes of Flavour was making waves with Igbo pop. We didn’t ignore footballers and sports people either. In fact, our first official outing was at Ozoemena Nsugbe’s burial.

Our inaugural meeting in Awka in 2014 was a huge success. With Gov. Obiano’s SSAs in Bob Manuel Udokwu, Chido Obidegwu, Honourable Tony Muonagor (Gyration Master), Igwe Prof Laz Ekwueme, Rita Edochie amongst many Anambra-born stars, not forgetting Ejike Metuselah, Emeka Rollas, Late Obi Madubuogwu, etc, the Association had a very fruitful and strong landing.

Election held and Ifeanyi Ikpoenyi emerged the President. The late Kasvid was elected as the Treasurer. Why? Because he was so trusted by all in the industry. Any money was safe in his care. Of course I was in the secretarial department. Somehow, Uju Edochie, for personal reasons dropped at this stage. 

Then our first major disagreement!

I was then involved heavily with Dr. Ernest Ndukwe’s Senatorial campaign. I couldn’t attend some Exco and General Meetings. The next time I was called and informed the Governor had given a date to meet us at the lodge. I couldn’t believe this.

Later that night I drove to Golphins Hotel, Awka to confront Ikpoenyi and Kas.

“What are we seeing the governor for?”

They were surprised at my tune.

“Tai, do you know what it means for a state governor to agree to see us within so short of formation? Do you know what good fortune it was for Chido to facilitate this so expressly?” the AASEP President countered.

“Seeing the governor is not an issue. What is an issue is what you will present to him at the meeting,” I stood firmly.

“Then sit down, let’s iron it out. Already the Exco had something penciled down. Let’s look at it and you make your input, then three of us arrange it more professionally,” Ikpoenyi said.

I couldn’t buy that. Kasvid tried to make me see reason but I couldn’t, ending up storming out of the room in annoyance.

I was already in my vehicle, started reversing out of the hotel’s parking lot when Kasvid stopped me.

“Tai, you know you talked me into all stages till we landed here,” he started in his usually calm manner.

“I know Kas but I didn’t talk you into it to end it prematurely. I told you people that as moviemakers that we must see our governor with a copy of a movie that will showcase our intention – a strong and compelling story weaved around Anambra in Igbo language, shot in locations within Anambra with her landmarks,” I responded.

“We have been over that many times before Tai but our governor will see us in 48 hours’ time ... are we going to send back a message that we are not ready?”

“I’d rather that than going to see him like beggars,” I stood my ground.

“Tai stop that engine and come back to the room. We have an appointment with the governor and we must see him.” Kas was emphatic.

And because it was Kasvid I followed him back to the room. Five hours it took us to go through every dot and coma.

We saw the governor and it was a very good meeting, if not excellent. About 40 members of AASEP led by BobManuel Udokwu. Ikpoenyi presented our paper, an excellent job he made of it. 

Ikpoenyi and Kasvid were sort of vindicated but I still had my worries. I was looking directly into the governor’s eyes all through the meeting that lasted over an hour. I knew he was serious and meant at least 60% of his promises to us but I also knew it depended on us. There were things we needed to do ASAP to earn his trust and friendship. But I know our industry too well that I knew nobody besides Kasvid and Ikpoenyi would support me to toe that line. In the end I was proved right.

So my friends and I, by now Ikpoenyi had become as committed in the dream, met and decided that the only way to get the Association going was for the three of us to pursue the dream, since AASEP as an association had no funds to produce a movie wordy of the dream we were thinking about. We believed people must sacrifice for a cause and placed it on Kasvid’s laps to shoulder the responsibility of producing that movie. Tai would do his job - scripting while Hollywood would do his as one of the best directors we have in the industry.

We set for work but exactly the concept of the movie to produce to keep our goal alive became an issue.

This led to a serious disagreement that threatened my deep friendship with Kasvid. And for three months we didn’t talk to each other – no communication. The dream was temporarily buried. We both individually feared that it was permanently buried but ego played us big time tricks.

But Kasvid conquered that barrier by coming to Awka after three months and calling me over.

Then came another journey that contributed largely to his unfortunate end.

In this unfortunate struggle the inactions of some people led to my friend’s death. If only they had killed just our dream! We would have buried it and dreamt another. But the promises, over one million of them, kept him borrowing, investing, hoping until that Godforsaken moment beside Oraukwu Grammar School, when Kasvid’s car summersaulted, he came out like the very strong man I knew him … only for a devil-driven vehicle to hit him so hard that he arrived the hospital as a BID! 

Watch out for - KASVID: How People Kill Others’ Dreams 2.

Pix...Kasvid standing far left while I took picture with Governor at The Lodge.


Comments